Federal Action to Clean Up Abandoned Vessels
Coastal communities have been left waiting too long for solutions to clean up abandoned vessels and prevent them from becoming serious environmental and navigational hazards.
It's time for federal action to clean up abandoned vessels!
I have introduced Bill C-352 , An Act to amend the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and to provide for the development of a national strategy (abandonment of vessels) to:
- End the run-around and finger-pointing by designating Coast Guard as the agency responsible for directing the removal & recycling of abandoned vessels
- Build a coast-wide strategy in cooperation with local and provincial governments
- Get taxpayers off the hook by fixing vessel registration and creating a fee to help cover the cost of vessel disposal
- Prevent vessels from becoming hazards by piloting a turn-in program at safe recycling facilities
- Create good green jobs by supporting local marine salvage businesses
Click on the video to see how we dit it
It's time to clean up abandoned vessels and protect our coast.