Join Our Campaign to Clean Up Abandoned Vessels
Abandoned vessels pose a serious environmental and navigational hazard. For too long, jurisdictional gaps have left coastal communities with nowhere to turn for help.
After decades of sounding the alarm on the long-standing problem of abandoned vessels, New Democrat and coastal community pressure finally got abandoned vessels on the federal legislative agenda.
My Bill C-352 and our amendments at Transport Committee included all the coastal community solutions and filled gaps in the government's Bill C-64. Stifling coastal voices, the Liberals voted down 12 out of 13 NDP amendments, which would have added all the solutions local governments in BC have been asking for:
- End the run-around and finger-pointing by designating Coast Guard as the agency responsible for directing the removal & recycling of abandoned vessels
- Build a coast-wide strategy in cooperation with local and provincial governments
- Get taxpayers off the hook by fixing vessel registration and creating a fee to help cover the cost of vessel disposal
- Prevent vessels from becoming hazards by piloting a turn-in program at safe recycling facilities
- Create good green jobs by supporting local marine salvage businesses
Please sign this petition to join the united call for a comprehensive coast-wide solution to abandoned vessels!
Add your name
Thank you for taking action to build a better Canada where no one is left behind.
Do you have friends who share your commitment to improving your community? Let them know that they can take action too.
The more people we reach, the more progress we can make – one community at a time.